Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Still here.....

I haven't had much on my mind lately, been very busy, not much time for deep thought...

Things seem to be settling down nicely now, new place to live, new job....it's been a long hectic road getting here, but I like the calm.

One thing that I have been thinking about is emotions. Emotions are tricky things....they will make people do things that don't make much sense (myself included). Many years ago, I had a counselor tell me that the main difference between man and animals is that when something happens around an animal...they react immediately, instinct takes over....fight or flight. Man has the option, we can stop and think before we react. We can react from intelligence instead of instinct. I've found that the longer I take to react, the more time I have to think about it, and the better my reaction is. If I'm really 'on my A game', I'll think through what I've been taught from the Bible, and try to react based on Biblical principles. I rely on my own knowledge way too much, but every once in a while, I'll do the right thing.

I've dealt with many in business who are very calm and thoughtful even when things seems to be falling apart all around them. I have a great amount of respect for these folks. I'm trying to learn how to do that.

I'm not saying that everyone should become emotionless drones or remove emotions from your life (Spock comes to mind). But, basing decisions on emotion seems to lead to problems.

Just an observation....

1 comment:

dmcmunn said...

I wish I worked with the thoughtful. That would be a nice distraction. Chaos seems to rule the day at the past 3 engagements I've had. Its WWWWAAAAYYY too easy to blow with the wind when you have no roots.

"Deep Thoughts by Donnie Hall"...I kinda like that. Could be a series or something. Glad you're "Still here", I've lost way too many good folks lately.