Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Christmas Music...




Ok, I have it on good authority that you cannot listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. Since that day is quickly approaching, I'd like to make a recommendation on the first music to listen to. One of the great things about music is that it can bring back memories.

Back when Charles Schultz was developing the Peanuts television shows, they were searching for just the right music to go with it. The producer of the show heard the song "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" on the radio. He contacted a jazz columnist from the newspaper and was put in touch with the composer Vince Guaraldi. He proposed that Guaraldi compose the music for the television series and a classic was born.

Vince Guaraldi and Dave Brubeck lived in the same area. I think they were both pretty much shunned by the jazz community because they appealed to the masses. I think the jazz community was jealous because these guys made money playing jazz. Anyway, the Music from the Charlie Brown Christmas Special contains several classics, most notably "Christmas Time Is Here". It also contains jazz renditions of "O Tannenbaum" and "What Child Is This"

I highly recommend this as your first Christmas music this year. It can appeal to you as an adult and as a grown up child.

3 comments:

TARA said...

Love it, got it, played it already :)

LeBlanc said...

This CD, along with Mitch Miller, are ones that I just absolutely needed to own and I wear them out...as soon as Thanksgiving has ended.

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving, shmanksgiving...I'm starting now! For some reason, I have the spirit early this year.