Saturday, November 1, 2008

You can't get more Nashville than this....

One of the tracks on my "Chet Atkins -- A Master And His Music" CD is a track of Chet Atkins and Dolly Parton playing and singing "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind". To be honest, I don't know that I had ever heard that song before, but after I did some looking into it, I found out that Dolly Parton wrote it, and it has been done by several artists.

Anyway, in listening to that track, I couldn't help but notice the mutual love and respect between these two artists that comes shining through. I don't think I've ever heard a song where two people care for each other so much and are having a great time playing music. I found it on youtube...



Ever since I bought this CD, my guitar player friend and I have been talking about it. We talk about the styles of different musicians and what makes them great. Chet Atkins, though he had the ability to smoke a guitar like none other, was famous for not playing a single note that wasn't necessary. That's one of the things that made him great.

My friend (who is from Washington state originally) made the remark that while living in Washington, everybody there thought that Nashville was a hick town, no shoes, uneducated, hillbillies. After moving here though, his eyes have been opened to what Nashville is all about. I gave him my usual speech that we like for everyone to think Nashville is backward, and, that he is welcome here as long as he doesn't call a bunch of friends and relatives and get them to move here ;-)

When I moved back to Nashville during the summer, I started going out and experiencing some of the night life in this town. I had really never done that before. I must tell you, it is a great time. Lot's of great music and people come here from everywhere. On Halloween night, I went to 2nd Avenue just to see what was going on. Luckily I took my camera. What a great time. Here are some photos..(If you dislike guitars or pretty women, then don't look.)
Photos

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But... but... Nashville IS backward.