Friday, October 31, 2008

Sad News Today...

One of the best purchases I've ever made was a CD called "Chet Atkins -- A Master And His Music". I found it at the flea market...$2. It has some phenomenal tracks on it. One of my favorites is "Jerry's Breakdown" featuring Jerry Reed. I was playing it for a guitar player friend and he told me that Jerry Reed had died earlier this year. I had no idea, I was floored. I guess I was too self absorbed when it happened.

In this post I told you about Raegan Echols who was Jerry's nephew and a good friend of mine in college. The summer before my senior year in college, Raegan called me and told me that the guy that normally sold t-shirts for Jerry had just gotten married and was on his honeymoon. He asked me if I wanted to go. My answer was "Absolutely".

As far as I know, Jerry loved life, he always seemed like one of those guys that was having a blast wherever he went. He did several movies, and many people remember him for that, but, he was also a phenomenal musician. One of the highlights of his show was a song he called "Moggy Fountain Breakdown". He had converted the classic "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" to a minor key. This was the song where he and his band really showed what they could do.

I'll alway remember that week. Nobody can take it from me. It was a tremendous experience. I'm sorry that I missed his passing.

Check out this video from 1975. This is Jerry at his best.

No comments: