Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Labels....

I had an experience yesterday relating to politics. I had a friend that is going through a bit of a rough time. His political views are quite different from mine. Anyway, I copied the Theodore Roosevelt quote from my last post and sent it to him. Every time I read that quote, it charges me up and prepares me for the battle of the day, I thought it might do the same for him.

Well, I don't remember the exact response, but it was something about Theodore Roosevelt being a Republican. Apparently, the quote didn't do anything for him because of Teddy's political views.

To be honest, I had no idea if Teddy Roosevelt was a Democrat or Republican when I sent the quote, I had to look it up to see if he was serious. I said something like, regardless of the man's political views, its a great quote.

If someone has different views than you do, does it mean everything they say is worthless? This relates to politics, religion and everyday life. If you listen to a preacher from a different faith, is their sermon worthless because they see God differently?

I realize that this is the political season and that nothing polarizes people like religion and politics, but if you use labels to put people in a box, then you are very much over simplifying the situation. I heard someone say "Eat the meat and spit out the bones" that is very true. In the words of the sage of the age Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

No comments: