Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A few thoughts from a sinner...

Sometimes, I will see something that hits me funny and I'll take a picture or just post it here and I'll spend a very few minutes and I'm done. Sometimes, I'll have an idea of something to post here and I'll think about it (sometimes for months) before I write anything. These usually take a long time, and I usually wind up crying while I'm writing it.

This one has been brewing for months...
There have been many things that I've been thinking about. It's finally done, I'm ready to write it. I'm going to lose some friends over this more than likely. And that's ok. The main question in my mind is...

Is organized religion what Jesus intended to establish?

If you are an avid reader (thanks mom!) you know that I've mentioned Andy Stanley's video series "Go Fish". This video series was amazing, I enjoyed every minute of it. It's been a while since I saw it, but as I remember, the basis for the whole series was Jesus' invitation to his first followers.

Matthew 4:18-22
The Calling of the First Disciples


As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him.

Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.


Andy talks about that Jesus didn't say "I will make you Holy" or "I will make you wealthy" or "I will make you a better person" he simply said....I will make you "fishers of men". He then says (as I remember) "followers fish, that's what we do".
The rest of the series is about what it means to fish. It's worth a listen if you get the chance.

I've attended worship services most of my life. My parents took me "every time the doors were open" when I was a kid. There have been periods where I did not go, but when I went through a very difficult period in my life about 12 years ago, there was a congregation (one man in particular) that was very instrumental in pulling me through it. Ever since that time, I attended worship services regularly....until this past January.

Divorce is a nasty ugly business. Most people, don't know what to say or how to handle it. It's easier just to stay away and "not get involved". I understand that...it's cool....really. My divorce has taught me several things that are very valuable to me now.


  • All my life, my relationship with God was represented by my faithfulness in attending worship services. I have learned that your relationship with God is separate from your relationship with a congregation

  • People really need other people to help when things get nasty and ugly.

  • The term "Church" as it commonly used today, is used incorrectly. When you attend worship services, you are not "going to Church".



I want you to understand, I am not angry at organized religion or at any of the people that I've known or been close to. This is just where I am in my thinking. This blog is my outlet.

Over the past few months, I've tried to begin attending worship services again. There is a congregation that is close to where I live now where some of my friends go. They have a very active singles program, so it sounded like a good fit to me. I visited a couple of times. The last time I attended, I was a little late. One of the ushers tried to help me find a seat. We could see some empty seats near the front so we headed there. When we arrived at the pew, we saw that there were song books in the pew. The lady let us know that the seats were "saved" (an interesting use of words now that I think about it). I told the usher that I could find my own seat. I saw some empty seats in another section, near the front. I walked there only to again find songbooks in the seat. I went to the balcony near the very back. I wound up leaving during the sermon.

Please understand, I'm not angry, I'm not taking any sort of revenge by writing this. I'm just telling you my thinking and my experiences.

One of the ideas that I realized while watching Andy's series (I don't know if he said this directly or not) was "If all of your time is spent with people that think just like you....you aren't fishing".

I'm reminded of something that happened years ago...one congregation that I attended had a teacher who is one of the men that I admire most. In one of his classes, he focused on the sin of homosexuality. It was very good, and very Biblical. I can't remember what was happening that afternoon (maybe a men's business meeting) that I attended. I was early and one of the elders and I were alone for a bit. The elder opened the conversation with...."Wasn't the class good today". My response was "Well...I had a brother who was a homosexual, I guess I think that there is Grace for homosexuals too". Needless to say, we didn't see eye to eye on that point.

Later in the afternoon, some men were standing around talking, the topic of the class was also the topic of conversation. One gentlemen who I hold in high regard remarked that he just couldn't deal with someone who he knew was a homosexual. I was a little taken aback by that statement. During the same conversation (this amazed me) the topic of discussion turned to the features and functionality of the latest radar detectors. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I guess I was pretty sensitive at that particular moment. Homosexuality was reprehensible, speeding was ok, even celebrated. For years I've wondered, are they different in God's eyes? I honestly don't know, my current thinking is that they are not. We are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God. Someone pointed out to me years ago, that Jesus never ever rebuked anyone for being a sinner. His harshest rebukes were saved for those who considered themselves sinless.

I've mentioned several times here that one of the things that I love to do is listen to live music. The best place to listen to music in Nashville is 2nd avenue. I probably go a couple of times per week. You can pay $8 to park and then go see everything from live bands that are really really good, to karaoke singers who are absolutely terrible. One thing that you are guaranteed to see there is people who think differently from you. I could tell you many stories about the people that I've met. You never know if the stories they tell you are true, but, I've talked to a guy that just got out of prison and needed bus fare to go home. Homeless people that just needed something to eat (I don't give cash, but I'll put you on a bus or buy you something to eat). I also have a very funny story about meeting two sisters that were strippers promoting the club they work at.

I was with a friend from high school, we were going to meet some people that I work with at B. B. Kings. We got something to eat and were walking to the club. We were approached by a man who asked for something to eat. I gave him my normal speech "I won't give you cash, but I'll buy you something to eat" Those that are really hungry will go with you. Somehow, as we were walking to the restaurant, we began talking about worship buildings. I honestly have no idea how that topic came up. Anyway, my friend made the statement that large buildings were built to honor God. I asked "Are we honoring God by buying this man a meal?" she said "Yes". My next statement was, "How many meals could we buy, if we didn't build big buildings?". I remember her stumbling over her response. When I say yes to those who ask for something, it has amazed me how many times the next question is "Are you a Christian?". The prisoner and I had an amazing conversation and prayer while we were waiting for the bus.

The next day, I was talking to the same friend, we enjoy asking each other deep questions. I asked, "What is the test to get into heaven?". Her response was, "There is no test, Jesus did it all". I said, "Well, I think there is a test, and it is pretty clear in the Bible". The discussion finally wound up leading to Matthew 25.

I plan to attend a worship service this Sunday. I will be attending an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting with my nephew. I'm not an alcoholic, but I've thought for years that AA meetings are probably closer to what Jesus intended to establish.

Judge me if you must, I'm going fishing...

2 comments:

Amy Rich Photography said...

Hmmmmm....religion...always a touchy subject and one I don't normally go near. However, some of your thoughts got me musing on some of mine.
Organized Religion...gotta admit this is one I am not a big fan of. It just seems to me that it is alot of people trying to beat their beliefs into others while trying to annihilate anyone feeling any different. I know I should not judge all organized religion on the ones I have personally experienced but I will say I feel confident they are the same pretty much across the board. Yes, I know there are exceptions, there always are and I am not going to waste anyone's time trying to defend my position. It is simply what I think.
One problem with "church" is they often try to exclude people. Shouldn't they INCLUDE everyone. Aren't the sinners they toss out exactly the people that need to be in church? Religion to me is all inclusive, the more the merrier and I believe there is room in Heaven for people of all faiths and all beliefs. People who live their lives to the best of their abiltiy, who try to bring goodness to the world and lift others up will be blessed. I just cannot believe in a God who would turn that down.
I also believe that homosexuals were just born that way. Who would choose this? To be made fun of and ridiculed at best would not be a choice anyone would make. They are what they are. God made them. He loves them. That is that.
So where does that leave me? I believe deeply in God. I think He surrounds all of us. He can not interfere in our choices but He gives us strength if we choose to ask. He cannot prevent the car crash but he can give the family strength and hope that they will meet their loved ones in a future place. Church is a great place to meet people and will give a great support base if you fall upon hard times. God is there. But He is not exclusively there. And they do not own Him. He is mine. He is ours. He is everyones.
Just some thoughts....

Anonymous said...

Regarding “All my life, my relationship with God was represented by my faithfulness in attending worship services. I have learned that your relationship with God is separate from your relationship with a congregation.”

I agree. As a former COC’er, I completely understand your feeling of being “worthy” because you showed up every time the doors opened. Somehow that seems to be one of the things emphasized in that church.

Since I have joined FBN, I no longer feel that pressure. Granted, every congregation, no matter the denomination, is different. You have to find a place that feels right to YOU. But even then, you’re right, your personal relationship with God is separate. And thank Him for that!

A few years ago, I made a New Year’s resolution regarding my spirituality. I wanted to know 2 things: what it meant to be “in Christ,” and what it meant to worship “in Spirit and in truth.” I think I’ve made immeasurable progress in both of these wishes (could be that whole “knock and the door shall be opened” thing). I’m nothing without Christ. It doesn’t matter if I’m fantastic at what I do, have great friends, am a good daughter or granddaughter…unless He is front and center, it means nothing. I’m nothing without Him.

I’ve struggled in recent years with my decision to train as a teacher. It cost me many hours and dollars, but the most valuable cost has been to my self-esteem. Being a teacher has been tough. I’d always been told that I should do it, I’d be great! This was often after I created a bulletin board for the nursing unit I taught, or made a poster for a presenter. Yeah, I’m a creative person. But there is so much more to being a teacher than that. During my student teaching, the Lord allowed me to be humbled beyond what I had ever thought possible. As much as I’ve always wanted to be a teacher, I began to question whether I had within me what it takes. But at the same time, over the last 2-3 years, I’ve learned to lean on the fact that my worth doesn’t have to come from what I do or fail to do, it’s in the fact that I’m His, and His alone.

I cannot describe how freeing this has been! No matter my shortcomings, I am still worthy as a person because of Him. And along the same lines, He has caused me to grow and mature as a teacher. I don’t feel any longer that I chose the wrong path. I feel like He has enabled me to become that which I thought I already was.