Friday, October 3, 2008

Hey buddy, can you spare a dime?

People are always asking me for money. I don't know if I just look like a soft touch, or what, but I can't go out on 2nd ave without being approached several times a night for cigarettes or money or food or something.

Because of the way I was raised, this always presents a challenge for me. The words of Jesus always go through my head...

Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

At the same time, Paul tells us

"If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

So what is your opinion? How do you apply these scriptures when someone asks you for money?

Years ago, my counselor told me that when God gives seemingly contradictory statements like this, he is giving us permission to apply each concept as we see fit. My opinion is that we are commanded to help the needy, but don't be an enabler.

I have adopted this policy, If someone asks me for money for some specific purpose, my response is "I won't give you cash, but I will get you what you need". If someone asks for money for food, I take them somewhere and buy the food. If in fact, they need food, they will be appreciative, if they were wanting the cash for some other purpose, they will walk away.

Just about any night of the week, you can go out in Nashville and find those on the sidewalk who are begging for change. It is very difficult to walk away. However, the Union Rescue Mission posts signs asking you not to give to panhandlers. I guess this is where giving becomes enabling. It's a difficult problem, but one all Christians should consider.

No comments: