Thursday, January 15, 2009

God's sense of humor...

A few years ago, we realized that the only way to survive financially with teenagers was to have unlimited text messaging on the phones. It doesn't take many $600 phone bills to realize that. Anyway, when we got that set up, I signed up for a free service on Yahoo! to send me a Bible verse everyday. I've had it for several years now and have been continually amazed at how appropriate the verse was for what I was going through that day. I call it my "Text Message From God".

On another note, 16 years ago, I moved to Lebanon Tennessee from Nashville. I had gotten a job at the corporate offices of Cracker Barrel, we were expecting my son Chris, and the house we had in Hermitage was on a pretty dangerous road, so we moved. Lebanon is an interesting town, there are a lot of great things about Lebanon, but there are some bad as well. On the good side, it is a great place to raise children, everybody there watches out for each other's kids and you know that if your kids get in to something that they shouldn't, you will hear about it eventually. On the bad side, Lebanon is one of those towns that if you aren't "from" there, you will never be "from" there regardless of how long you live there. I don't think I'm speaking out of turn, because I've had several people who are "from" there tell me the same thing.

Well, I lived it for about 15 years or so. It's true. I have some good friends there, my children live there (and I'm glad that they do, they are now "from" there) but given all that happened, I can't say that my experience there was completely positive.

Over the last year I've been cutting the ties with Lebanon slowly but surely. Today was a big day because I renewed my automobile tags in Nashville where I am "from" and I also took care of some final details that finalized my ties with that town. It was a big day.

Now back to my text message from God.....today's message was Judges 9:15 (this is absolutely true)

Let fire come out of the bramble and devour the cedars of Lebanon

That may be a little harsh, but I'm glad to be back where I am "from".

No comments: