Thursday, August 23, 2007

A few odds and ends....

I saw a news story today that the movie company Lionsgate (who made the movie Dirty Dancing) were suing a collection of about 15 companies that had marketed products using the movie's climactic line.

What was the climactic line in Dirty Dancing you ask? It was that riveting moment in the movie where Patrick Swayze says "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" Ok, I didn't get it, but anyway, they thought enough of that Shakesperean prose to trademark it.

Being the entrepreneur, I'm thinking, who knew that you could trademark a sentence? I'm gonna trademark a few myself and start a whole new revenue stream. Here's what I'm thinking:

"Not tonight, Honey"
"I've got a headache"
"Can't we just cuddle?"


I'm gonna make a fortune.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few days ago, I talked about buying a truck and a new water heater in the same weekend. I have some updates on the truck. I've learned quite a bit about the onboard diagnostic systems in vehicles these days. Evidently, these systems go through their diagnostics checks about every 100 miles. They evidently also keep up with how long it has been since their last diagnostic cycle.

The reason that I know this is that when we took the truck for its first emissions test, the result came back as "Not Ready" meaning that the emissions testing computer couldn't get a good reading from the onboard diagnostic computer.

The operator gave us a pamphlet that said that all we needed to do was drive the vehicle a while and bring it back. My first thought was "Don't I need the emissions test before I can drive it?" but a temporary tag came to the rescue.

After we got the temporary tag, I took the truck to Charlie's Tires in Lebanon (high recommendation for Brian Patterson and his folks there). We got a new set of tires and a new serpentine belt. The truck finally went through its diagnostic cycle while it was there, because when I got it back, the Check Engine light was on.

Charlies' Tire doesn't have the diagnostic computer set up to find out what was wrong, but they recommended D&R Automotive (also in Lebanon, also a very high recommendation for these folks, you'll see why in a minute)

I call and set up an appointment with D&R (they evidently stay booked up for about 3 days in advance). Buster tells me that it costs $60 to hook up the diagnostic computer. It's pretty high, but, I've got to have it done.

That afternoon, I talk to them and they tell me that the only thing that they can find wrong was a bad gas cap. A gas cap is going to about $10 plus $60 for the diagnostic check, I'm on the hook for about $70 right? If it gets me past the emissions test, I'm good with it. When I go to pick up the truck, they only charged me for the gas cap, no charge for the diagnostic check. Unbelievable. I love living in a small town.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last note....I've been self-employed for about 7 years. Its hard to look back and think that it has been that long. Anyway, that is not going to be true for much longer. I have accepted a position with a company named Digital Dog. This company has been doing large scale web site deployments for the past 13 years.

They are located in Cummins Station, which, by the way, has got to be the coolest office building in Nashville to work. I have accepted a Project Manager position with them. I'm excited, I believe that it is a great opportunity.

My company, Cedar City Group, LLC will still operate, I have several clients that I will continue to do work for after hours. But, for the first time in a very very long time, I'll be getting a salary.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's it for tonight...I gotta get to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.