Sunday, August 5, 2007

You just don't have the ability....

As I start this, I must first admit that I grew up believing a lie. Whether someone told me outright or it was my own misunderstanding, I'm not sure. Nevertheless, it was a misconception that has only recently been uncovered. I'll probably struggle with it for the rest of my life, but at least I understand it now and can fight it. So what's the lie?

You can be good enough to go to heaven

I know that I am not the only one that believes this, I've seen it demonstrated by others in many many ways.

The first time someone really challenged me on this thought was a sermon that I heard by Paul Wingfield. Paul and I actually went to high school together never mind how many years ago. Recently, he spoke at my church as we were supporting his efforts to build a church in Monument, CO. Anyway, he told the story of his younger days when he dreamed of being a receiver for the Dallas Cowboys. He talked of how hard he worked, and studied and learned. At the end of his high school football career though, there were no college recruiters waiting to talk to him, much less pro scouts for the Dallas Cowboys. He had the desire, he put in the effort, but in the final analysis, he didn't have the ability to be a professional receiver.

The spiritual application was, if you are frustrated with your ability to be 'good' you must understand,it's not a lack of desire, and it's probably not a lack of effort. However, in the final analysis, we really don't have the ability.

This was a jarring thought, completely outside my understanding of what the Christian life was all about. I couldn't really accept it immediately, but it's been in the back of my mind for years.

Recently, a good friend sent a link to this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA of a skit performed at Winterfest. The first time I watched it, I watched it alone and by the end, I was balling my eyes out. So, I watch it again with Kathy (my wife), again, I'm crying at the end. All in all, I've shown it to about 6 people now, and everytime I watch it, or tell people about it, I break down.

Why does it affect me so much? Well, when I think about it. It's my story.

The point where I break down when I watch the video above is the point where the character is fighting to get back to Jesus. As hard as she tries, the things of this world keep holding her back. She just doesn't have the ability to throw them off. The key to success, I now believe, is to let go of our egos, turn it over to him and admit that we don't have the ability.....

No comments: