Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Rockin' Sockin'

Today marks the first game of the World Series. It's kind of sad for me, this is the first year in about 10 years that we didn't make it to at least one professional baseball game. Unless someone suprises me with World Series tickets, I guess we won't make it.

For the most part, we are a baseball family. One year, not long after we got married, Kathy and I decided to paint the entire inside of our first house. The baseboards were stained dark and we were painting them white so it took a very long time. We both took a week of vacation and painted. It just so happened that it was the week of the World Series.... we painted, watched baseball, painted, painted, more baseball. It was Atlanta's worst to first season. I don't remember the year, but we still talk about that week.

I'm a sports fan in that I like to watch the games. I know some of the most popular players, but I don't know all of the statistics and all of the players involved. I guess I'm just a casual fan.

Sarah, doesn't care much about baseball, she usually goes to the other room when we watch any sport. Chris is a died-in-wool Sox fan. He has the Atlanta A and the Boston B painted on his bedroom wall. I'm pretty sure that Kathy will be pulling for the Sox as well.

Me....I'm torn...for some reason my heart is with the National League. Lately, it seems that American League has dominated the series and interleague play, but my heart is with the National League. I think it all goes back to the idea that ALL players should bat. I have a philosophical problem with anyone that would call themselves a baseball player but then not bat. I know that when the pitcher comes up to bat in the National League its like the last boy that was picked in elementary school. I can just see all the guys in the field yelling "EASY HITTER!!!", But anyway, baseball players should bat. American League pitchers should bat. National League pitchers should do a better job of it.

I'm also pulling for the Rockies because of Todd Helton. He played for UT, I remember watching him when he was in college. So, I've made the decision (just now) I'm pulling for the Rockies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

National League - National League only

Anonymous said...

You are right...I am pulling for the BoSox. But, I hope Todd Helton hits a homer, just not off Curt Schilling!

Amy S. Grant said...

I'm with ya for the Rockies.

And if I had tickets they would be yours. I enjoyed visiting with your lovely wife today!

Donna G said...

I am with you on this one. I will be for the Rockies. (of course my being for a team in the World Series is the kiss of death..)

TARA said...

You would find Jason's blog on this very interesting - link from my blog. I am sad that we didn't make it to a professional game this year, or the past 2. We gotta get Ethan to the new Cardinals stadium before he graduates.