Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Blogger milestone

Being a fairly new blogger, I'm still fascinated by the idea that anyone would be interested in anything I had to say. I learned about the technology behind blogging several years ago. I saw some really interesting business uses for it, but personally why would anybody just post random thoughts for the whole internet to read? Over the years, I'd thought about starting one. I would start, then never find the time to write or didn't know what to write about so I would quit. Finally, I just started writing to it fairly regularly. It's been almost two months now, and I've kept it going.

I still don't know why posting random thoughts is compelling, or why anyone would read it, but I have found myself going through the day thinking about what I'm going to write. I'm hoping that I can get a better camera phone soon so that I can get some pictures on here without having to lug my digital camera around.

Anyway, the milestone that I passed yesterday was 1,000 pageviews and ironically, 500 visits. For the non-geeks in the audience, a visit is when a unique person visits a web site or blog. There is usually a time associated with visits so that if you visit the same site within a half hour (time varies) it is considered a single visit. If you visit the same site outside of that time limit, it is considered a separate visit. Within a visit, a reader may go to several different pages, each page visited would count as a pageview. A thousand pageviews isn't much for a big web site, but for some yahoo Tennessean blowing off steam every once in a while, I'm sort of proud of it.

This blog has been visited at least once by people from 22 different states as well as 8 different foreign countries. Most of the visitors have come here from my dear friend Amy Grant's blog (not her, the other one). The most visited post was the one that I did on Thorn Removal. Followed closely by the one on Getting up early.

Web site statistics is a fairly interesting subject. I'm going to create a post on my technical blog about Google Analytics which is where all of these stats are coming from. If you bloggers out there aren't familiar with it, you might find it very interesting to see who is reading what.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I started blogging a few years ago, I thought it was the greatest thing in the world. I certainly made a lot of new friends. First they were cyber friends and then I met a lot of folks in person. Now, I'm dealing with the privacy issue but I can't let go of my computer friends just yet. I'm glad to have 'met' you through the blog world. I'm a regular reader now.

Amy S. Grant said...

I'm so glad you're bloggin, too. It is a good outlet for thinking, as well as getting to know friends better. Plus, you get to meet folks like Terri whose paths we might not have crossed otherwise!

Donnie Hall said...

Thank you both...I am enjoying it, I've enjoyed reading both of you as well.