Sunday, October 21, 2007

Three Holes Left




This week has been a week that I've dreaded in some ways. One of the first things that they do at the beginning of the school year is to take the school pictures. At the end of the first nine week period, the prints are usually ready to be sent home. This week was the week that we received the prints.

Its not that I don't want their pictures, the problem is these frames that Kathy bought several years ago. You've probably seen them before, each school year you place their picture in the frame and then the Senior picture goes in the center. Each year, it's been a celebration when we put the new picture in the frame. This year, it wasn't so much of a celebration because we saw that there are only 3 holes left in Chris' frame.

When you look at the pictures, you may see the laugh in the kindergarten picture, the slicked back hair and smirk in third grade. Alfalfa hair in fourth grade, braces in the sixth grade that lead to the million dollar smile that he has now. But all Kathy and I can see is the three holes that are left.

We've had such big plans, I've desperately wanted to take both of them to Chicago, out west, a baseball tour of New England area and a cruise in the Caribbean...but the time is getting away.

To be honest, we are not done yet. There is so much that I want to teach them. Are they really ready to be on their own in a college atmosphere? Surely, we weren't as young at that age.

All along, my mom has told me, "They grow up so fast". I never believed her. But I am absolutely amazed that we have only three holes left.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donnie, in this latest picture, he looks so much like you when you were at that age! I am amazed. You know though, we all have stuff we have meant to do for them and with them, but in the end, you have done the best you can do; and I am sure you and Kathy have done a great job. I remember doing a Bible study a few years ago and learning about forgiving and the main thing I got from it was that your parents did the best they can do! Karen

Anonymous said...

(sniff, sniff) Why are we sad that he is growing up? I mean, hasn't our focus been to develop a godly "man", not a "boy"? Yet, I still miss (mourn?) the boy he was....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donnie Hall said...

wow.....my first comment spam....anybody know how to delete it?