Friday, November 16, 2007

American Idol Revisited

The only TV shows that my entire family watches together tend to be the competition shows, American Idol, Last Comic Standing, and the dance show that I can't think of the name. Anyway, last season was the first time that I watched American Idol all the way through. I saw the silly auditions all the way through the finale. I even went to see Melinda Doolittle when came home to Nashville.

I wasn't blogging then, but there was plenty to talk about. A good friend Trent and I would debate the merits and downfalls of each singer after the show aired each week. As the show came down to the final few, we picked our favorites and debated and cheered as they competed.

On my recent post about my taste in music Trent 'Anonymous' Arwine accused me of being a Blake Lewis fan. I just wanted to address that accusation in this post. Please bear with me ;).

Blake Lewis was only in the final three for comic relief. He was the vocal equivalent of Gilligan between Ginger and Mary Ann or Barney Rubble between Betty and Wilma. Come to think of it, he looks like Barney Rubble. And why did he let Sanjaya do his hair? Blake Lewis didn't belong in the same zip code with Melinda or Jordin. Melinda was by far the best singer, however, as you remember, I predicted that Jordin would win because she had the smile, the beauty, the whole marketable package.

Sorry that they rest of you had to see that, it's all in good fun. ;)

In the final weeks when Melinda came home to Nashville, Kathy and I went to Belmont University (where we met and fell in love) to see Melinda. As luck would have it, the camera happened to pan over the crowd at just the right time to get a picture of big goofy me sticking up in the background. So, in case you missed my 15 milliseconds of fame, I just happened to have it Tivoed.


My American Idol Appearance
See me way in the back?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, well I totally disagree with you. I went to several concerts and Blake is very talented. He was not my favorite, but he will have a huge career. Jordin should have won! She is totally awesome an captivates you with her voice! Melinda is awesome but she's spent years being a backup singer so she should be good. I truly think that Jordin should have won but if not her than Chris Rich!

Donnie Hall said...

Maybe you mean Chris Sligh? He was my personal favorite. The audition where he sang 'Kiss From a Rose' was one of the best unaccompanied vocals I've ever heard.

Donna G said...

I picked Jordin pretty early on...but I did like Chris and I liked Blake. Melinda freaked me out a little with that stare...but that is just me. She could sing for sure.

My all time favorite Idol is still Daughtry.....just an old rock and roll girl!!