Wednesday, November 7, 2007

It's deer season....

Growing up in Nashville, I didn't see a lot of deer. Years ago, I had a job in the middle of Brentwood. The building that I worked in was right next to the interstate but there was a large wooded area next to the parking lot. Every once in a while, a deer would walk up to the building. It was always a big deal. Everybody would stop working and come look at the deer.

Now that I live in Lebanon, seeing deer is not such a big deal any more. They are everywhere it seems. Seeing a buck is rare, but doe seem to be all over the place.

My dad didn't hunt, so I never went hunting as a kid. I don't have any real problem with it, it's just something I never did growing up. When we moved to Lebanon, I was fascinated by the number of people who hunted. Deer season is a big deal.

I'm fascinated by the amount of preparation that goes into deer hunting. I know that you have to get up very early. I know you need a tree stand. I also know that deer hunters use special soap to keep deer from smelling their scent. And you have to be very quiet, and never look a deer in the eye.

I'm puzzled though, if deer hunting requires all of that preparation, why do deer get hit by cars? I picture some unfortunate guy, stuck in a tree for 6 hours in the freezing cold and returning with nothing while some mom wearing Ralph Lauren perfume listening to Brad Paisley in her Honda gets a 10 point buck on the way to get her kids from school.

Life's not fair I guess.

2 comments:

KELLI said...

I've never been hunting either, but I've killed a deer. Also caused about $8000. worth of damage!!!! Wasn't too thrilled about that kill.

TARA said...

The deer are plotting to get their revenge. Some are suicide deer who lay low and wait in the dark for unsuspecting driver's, the at the right moment WHAM! Thanks for the damage Bambi,