Friday, November 9, 2007

My taste in music....

Wednesday night was quite a turning point for me.

I watched about the last 30 minutes of the CMA awards. (yikes)
I knew who most of the nominees were. (double yikes)
I was actually emotionally invested in who won. (I give up)

Yeah, it's still a a little hard to admit, but I do listen to country music now. Music has always been a big part of my life. My tastes have always been varied. I was a volunteer usher at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in high school so that I could see the symphony for free. Rush was my favorite rock band. I've seen them live nine times. I will never forget the day that I heard the song Eruption on Van Halen's first album. I've always thought that Boston's first album was one of the best albums ever made. They thought a lot of it since they basically remixed it for the next three albums.

Growing up, my mom loved Hank Williams (Sr. not Jr.) I heard all of his songs a hundred times. I remember going to the Grand Ole Opry as a kid. I enjoyed Marty Robbins, he was quite a character. If at any time you had asked me, I would have told you that I couldn't stand country music.

I find now that I listen to different music for different reasons. I listen to smooth Jazz like Jeff Lorber, David Sanborn or Dave Koz when I'm working. The fact that it doesn't have lyrics helps me concentrate. However, if we are approaching a tight deadline, then I listen to rock for the energy. I usually listen to Daughtry (whose first album may replace Boston in the aforementioned category). I usually listen to country when I'm in the car.

I listen to jazz to hear the musicianship. I've found that I listen to country to hear the songmanship.

Here's a couple of examples of what I mean. Brad Paisley's song Online has in it one of the most well put together lyrics I've ever heard.

I drive a Maserati, got a black belt in Karate and I love a good glass of wine


Or this line from Chuck Wicks' Stealing Cinderella

To her I'm Prince Charming, but to him I'm just some fella....Riding in and stealing Cinderella


Compare those with one of the worst lyrics I've ever heard from Van Halen's Why Can't This Be Love

Only time will tell if our love will stand the test of time.


I knew that I was getting old when I began worrying about what my kids listen to. A few years ago, Chris loved Nickelback. They came in concert and I took him to see them. I had not listened to any of their music and I enjoyed the concert quite a bit. After that, I loaded their CD on my computer. Once I could understand the lyrics, I was pretty shocked. The whole experience was a turn off of for Chris. He started listening to country after that. He said it was 'cleaner'. I said Well, instead of singing about sex, drugs and rock 'n roll, they sing about cheating, drinking and more cheating.

I'll close this somewhat rambling post with one of my favorite music jokes sent to me by Corrie Wells.

What's the difference between a blues musician and a jazz musician?
A blues musician plays 3 chords in front of 1000's of people.
A jazz musician plays 1000's of chords in front of 3 people



Have a good day...

2 comments:

TARA said...

I am the only person from my generation that I know has seen Johnny Cash perform not once but twice. I think Mom refused to go with Dad, and he took me instead. I also recently found a picture of me which was taken when I was 5. Dad used to carry this in his wallet. I was amazed when I flipped the picture over and it was autographed by guess who??? THE MAN IN BLACK.

Rush Exit Stage Left was one of my favorite Rock bands. I love Daugtery now.

Anonymous said...

I think this post is just a clever cover-up to conceal the Blake Lewis fan within :)