Friday, September 28, 2007

Cruel and unusual punishment....

I heard a news story this morning that the govenor had issued a moratorium on executions in Tennesse due to a Federal Judge's Ruling.

My first thought was "I wonder what the Romans in Jesus' time would have said about that?". My understanding of the Roman philosphy of the death penalty was...

Make the execution....

  • as painful as possible

  • as public as possible

  • as humiliating as possible



There have been many details given about crucifixion, I did a quick search and found this.

The most amazing thing to me about Jesus sacrifice though is....

  • He knew all along what was coming

  • He knew he would be all alone, (even without God)

  • He could have stopped it at any time


But he didn't.....thank God.

No comments: