Sunday, September 23, 2007

What a week...

This is going to be just some random thoughts from the week....what a week it has been.

The big event this week was that Kathy took and passed the Real Estate Exam. We celebrated Wednesday evening with some grilled steaks, baked potatoes and Mayfield Dairy's Moose Tracks ice cream. I'm so proud of her, she worked hard to get ready for it (she always does). I also bought her some flowers, I didn't realize how long it has been since I bought her flowers.

My work has been very busy. When I started my new job, they were in the middle of a big project, and I've tried my best to jump in and be as much of an asset as possible. Sometimes its hard being the 'NEW GUY'. Developing software is one of those things where is always 15 ways of doing the same thing, the challenge is to find the one way that your client (or employer) considers to be the 'right way'.

Outside of my employment (that still sounds weird), I still support some of my clients that I had before. It seems that this is one of those periods where everybody needs Donnie at the same time. The strangest thing is that my hands are physically tired from all the typing. I guess blogging adds to that also.

The kids are doing great, Chris is really being challenged with school and football at the same time. Previously, school had been fairly easy for him, he's always done well without working terribly hard. My fear has been that at some point he was going to have to really work at it and he wouldn't know how. So far, he's worked very hard this year and done well. I'm really proud of him.

Sarah is doing very well in school. If you know her now, you might be surprised to know that when she was younger, she was very shy...painfully shy. She's gotten over that. She's cheering for the 5th and 6th grade football team, she sings all the time, and told us this week that she was wanted to audition for the school play. She and Kathy came to my new office a week ago and met some folks there. They wound up asking if she could do a small video segment for the web site that we are working on. She was very excited. They said she was 'vivacious'. I told her that and her question was 'what is vivacious?' She is a 'light bulb', she lights up the room when she walks in.

My truck is in the shop (again), we got a really good deal on it (I promise honey), but there is some sort of problem that is preventing it from passing the emissions test. The mechanic is trying his best to help get it through. So far we've failed 4 times. The emissions testing technician was trying to make me feel better when he told me that he had one guy fail 13 times. We are not there, yet...

I'll close with a oldie but goodie nerd joke that I read this week in Reader's Digest, I had heard it before, but had forgotten it...

A nerd is walking through the woods when a frog hops up and says "If you will kiss me, I will turn into a beautiful princess and be your girlfriend forever." The nerd picks up the frog, puts it in his pocket, and continues his walk. The frog says "Hey! didn't you hear me? if you will kiss me, I will become a beautiful princess and be your girlfriend forever!" The nerd says "Look, I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog is cool!"

No comments: