Sunday, September 30, 2007

Hopelessly Romantic? or Romantically Hopeless?

I don't understand romance. Don't get me wrong, I really want to be a romantic guy, I think that I may be romantically challenged or something. When Kathy and I began dating, we would sit for hours in the gazebos on the Belmont Campus and talk. If we ran out of stuff to talk about, one of us would usually say "Ask me a question?" We would ask questions about anything and everything...It was a cool way to really get to know one another.

We've not done that in a while, but one evening as we were getting ready for bed, Kathy says "Ask me a question?". My response was...."What was the most romantic gift that I've given you?" Now here's my thinking...we've been married almost 20 years and every other year or so, we take a trip (sans children) for our anniversary. One year we rented a Mustang and drove to Atlanta for a Tim McGraw/Faith Hill concert and a Braves game. Another year we stayed in the Hermitage Hotel in Nashville..had a nice dinner and then went to see "STOMP!" at the Performing Arts Center. There have been many other gifts and trips. Surely her answer would be one of those. So, what was her answer?

"Skittles"

What?!?!?!?!!? Skittles?

See, one year for Christmas I found this crystal candy dish. It has since been broken by a child or nephew or niece, but it was beautiful. Since you can't give an empty candy dish, I went to the local grocery to get her favorite candy Skittles. The thing that made it a romantic gift, however, was that I took out the green ones. Kathy loves Skittles, but she does not like the green ones. That was the key.

By posting this here, I'm hoping to increase the romantic intelligence of some poor sap that is about to spend $4,000 on a cruise. You might be better off making a trip to the local candy store.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly!

Anonymous said...

It's all in the thought process...only took 20 years! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Kathy is correct. Most women don't care so much about the cost. It's the thought. If my husband sat down and wrote me a letter telling me what I meant to him, that would mean more to me than a $5k trip to the Carribean. Guys need to get a clue.

Anonymous said...

If some one wantѕ expert view abput blogging ɑnd site-building
afterward і recommend him/her to pay a visit thіs blog,
Keep սp thhe pleasant job.

Check օut my web-site :: nabisco cookie coupons printable 2011