Wednesday, September 19, 2007

More thoughts on Thorn Removal

You think I'd have it down by now, I've been practicing for 30 years.
I should have walked a thousand miles, what am I still doing here?

"Clumsy" -- Chris Rice


I've been thinking about 'thorns' (weaknesses, addictions whatever) and this question came to me:

"If I have an addiction or a weakness and I earnestly pray (like Paul) for God to take it away, Why would a loving God leave it in place?"

I would never presume to know the mind of God, but I have a theory...

Years ago, one of my addictions was smoking. My lovely wife (whose only possible addiction is Diet Mt. Dew) hated smoking and would say "just quit". Sounds easy. I tried to quit for years, and finally did. However, Kathy simply could not relate to the struggle, she had not been there. A few years later, I went to a Bible study. I was the last to leave and the host followed me to the car. Before long we began talking about common struggles. It was an amazing experience to be able to talk to someone who could truly relate. The friendship that started that evening remains to this day.

I believe that our weaknesses may remain so that we can help each other, but also, to help reach out to those who are struggling and don't know the way out. Who is better qualified to reach out to a struggling soul than someone who has been there?

I can remember sitting in Bible classes and hearing Matthew 5:48 "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." and thinking, "I can't be perfect, but I can hide my imperfections." As I've grown, I think that by hiding my imperfections, I've failed to help someone that I could have helped, or I've failed to reach out to someone that could have been reached.

Like the blind man in John 9, my weaknesses may be there so that the work of God might be displayed in my life.

His Grace is sufficient. His strength is made perfect in my weakness.

No comments: